Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ode to Curry Village

tent cabins

We fell so hard for Curry Village back in September. I mentioned quite a while ago that we went to Yosemite to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, but I failed to mention that we almost didn't come back home. We could have holed up in a canvas tent cabin and stayed forever in Yosemite. What a park. What a landmark. What a special anniversary.

We stayed in cabin #9 for three nights. The moment we drove into the parking lot and caught a glimpse of the lighted Camp Curry sign (it was about 8:30 at night), we were sold. And then we opened the car doors and were overwhelmed with the heavy aroma of pine, possible the best smell in the world. We checked in, dropped our stuff in the cabin and walked over to the lounge for some local beers and a toast to us, on the eve of our 10th anniversary.

The ambiance was so cool. So many happy people, happy in the moment, happy to be in Yosemite, happy with their company. We sat out on the deck for a good hour, enjoying the warm September night air and the surrounding conversations and laughter. It couldn't have been a better night.
canvas love
canvas love

I shot so many photos of Curry. They all look the same but I don't care. And you can bet when we go back, I'll take another dozen or so that look just like these. I printed one of these images big (12x12"!) this week and framed it last night in a 20x20" frame and hung it in our front room because Curry Village needs to be a part of our home. Though we were only in the park three short days, we fell so hard for that beautiful place and dream of the day we can return.
#9

Curry made such an impression on us that I'm deviating from many years of blogging and posting a picture of myself. In Curry Village. I rarely place myself in front of the camera, but in a place like Yosemite, it was impossible to avoid.

4 comments:

Ashley Moore said...

Oh wow! That looks amazing! My dad used to have a big canvas tent that looks almost like that when it was put up. What a great place to stay at. :)

Ravyn said...

Love this. We're heading to the Oregon coast later this week to go yurt camping. I have this same idea in my head that there's a little yurt village waiting for us!

Anonymous said...

I love the shots of the white tents all lined up. The same shot from multiple angles would be a great addition to any wall. xx

Elizabeth Soule said...

I want to go there. You did a lovely job capturing the camp.