Sunday, July 31, 2011

Seattle Day 3, Evening Stroll



I'm a mountain girl with a serious hankering for the ocean. I don't quite know how to have the best of both worlds, so I try to get to the coast at least once a year to satisfy my craving for saltwater and sea mist. Seattle was my first coastal visit this year and although I wasn't able to get out on the ocean, or even the Sound, I sure didn't miss my chance to stare at the water, smile as the seaplanes floated away, or wish I could be in every boat I saw. It helped to visit Lake Union and the Center for Wooden Boats. This was my favorite night of them all in Seattle. I shot a LOT of film and really, really love every image I got. It was the combination of Seattle's clouds and the lovely softbox lighting they provide, the subjects (I'm maybe a little obsessed with boats), and the beautiful colors rendered by Kodak Portra 400 that came together to create some of my most favorite images I've ever made, and that's saying a lot.







After a long walk on the docks at the Center for Wooden Boats, we rode the trolley up to Whole Foods (image below - loved the light) for some snacks. I also wanted a real onion bagel for breakfast in the morning (no real bagels in Utah!) and a treat for later. I ended up getting a black and white cupcake, and wondered if there's anything Whole Foods can't do? I wish I didn't have to drive 20 minutes to get to the nearest one here in Utah. I digress. We walked over to Yellow Dot Cafe (again - loved it!), grabbed sandwiches, then retreated to our hotel rooms for the night. What a nice day filled with lots of film, delicious food, good company, and many boats.

3 comments:

Vanessa Morrow said...

So many awesome shots. You obviously had some delicious light to work with. Lots of beauty in this post.

Ashley Moore said...

I love those shots of the upside down boats! So beautiful!

Vulpes Fluxus said...

Good blog poost